‘Drive Me – Self-driving cars for sustainable mobility’ is the world´s first large-scale autonomous driving pilot project.
100 self-driving cars will use public roads in everyday driving projects around the Swedish city of Gothenburg. Autonomous vehicles is an important solution for reaching the Vision Zero.
The project is a joint initiative between Volvo Car Group, the Swedish Transport Administration, the Swedish Transport Agency, Lindholmen Science Park and the City of Gothenburg.
'Drive Me' will focus on a number of areas, such as:
- How autonomous vehicles bring societal and economic benefits by improving traffic efficiency, the traffic environment and road safety
- Infrastructure requirements for autonomous driving
- Typical traffic situations suitable for autonomous vehicles
- Customers' confidence in autonomous vehicles
- How surrounding drivers interact smoothly with a self-driving car
The first cars are expected to be on the roads in Gothenburg by 2017.