The Swedish ERTMS Project
ERTMS is a traffic management system that is common to Europe, and is aimed at creating cross-border rail traffic. ERTMS is short for European Rail Traffic Management System.
Replaces old system on the whole Swedish railway network from North to South, some 11,000 kilometers. Roll out starts 2019 and will be completed 2035.
Facts in brief
- ETCS + GSM-R = ERTMS
- Common traffic management system in the all of Europe
- Allows for common operating rules throughout Europe
- The present implementation of ATC-2 cannot manage speeds higher than 200 km/h
- Cost reductions for infrastructure holder
- Opens the supplier market for traffic management systems
- Opens the European markets to train operators.
- Cost: 30 000 million SEK (2012)
Swedish employment plan (jpg-file, 533 kB, opens a new window)