In the theory tests, you have to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge to be a safe and environmentally aware professional driver. You must demonstrate your knowledge in practice during the driving test. You must demonstrate that you can provide passengers with efficient, comfortable and safe travel.
The theory test
The theory test for taxi driver ID consists of two modules. These tests gauge how much you know in ten different areas. The modules must be passed within 6 months of passing the first module. You choose the order in which you complete the tests.
Module 1 Safety and behaviour
Module 1 consists of 70 questions in total, but you can score a maximum of 65 points. This is because 5 of the questions are sample questions and do not count towards the test score. To pass the module, you must answer 48 questions correctly. The test takes 50 minutes.
Examples of things you must be able to do:
- Use different tools to plan your journeys using a map, GPS.
- Use tools to plan your journeys to make travel efficient.
- Driving economy, driving behaviour and preventive maintenance.
- How different vehicles affect the environment.
- Safety, your responsibility for ensuring that passengers enjoy safe, secure and comfortable journeys.
- Dealing with passengers. You must be service-minded and understand and respect the circumstances and needs of different people.
- Illnesses and other disabilities, so you can ensure all your passengers feel safe and secure while travelling with you.
- The risks of working as a taxi driver.
- Vehicle knowledge, such as vehicle maintenance, troubleshooting so you can comply with vehicle regulations. Lighting requirements are one example.
Module 2 Legislation
The module consists of 50 questions in total, but you can score a maximum of 46 points. This is because 4 of the questions are sample questions and do not count towards the test score. To pass the module, you must answer 34 questions correctly. The test takes 50 minutes.
- You must be aware of rules applicable to taxi driving and what can happen if you fail to follow them.
- You must have a very good knowledge of road traffic rules and road signs.
The driving test
You must show your driving licence before the driving test. Your driving licence must be valid, include category B and be issued in Sweden, or in another EEA country.
You can book the Swedish Transport Administration’s car when you are booking your driving test. You choose whether you want to take the test in a manual or an automatic car.
What will happen during the driving test
The driving test consists of:
- Vehicle inspection
- Passenger safety
- Driving in urban and rural traffic
You will start your test by inspecting the car. You must be able to identify any problems and suggest how to remedy them.
You must then be able to show what you do to ensure that your passengers travel as safely as possible in your car.
Driving in urban and rural traffic
The drive will continue for at least 35 minutes, and you will drive to a specified destination using a specified route. You will use GPS during the driving test, and it will be available when you arrive for your driving test.
You must demonstrate your ability to drive the vehicle safely in traffic, and to use your experience and sound judgement. You must also demonstrate that you are able to drive economically and in an eco-friendly way.
During your driving test, you must also:
- Know where to look in different situations and how, and understand why you need to do so.
- Be able to cooperate effectively with other road users.
- Have a very good ability to understand the impact of your own actions in traffic.
- Be able to use technical equipment or a map and follow the customer’s instructions in order to get to the customer’s destination. The technical equipment must not affect road safety while driving.
- You must be able to identify and follow the most appropriate route and deal with diversions.
- Be able to find a destination without using GPS.